Optical Disk Drive Antitrust Settlement
There are two classes that are a part of the class action settlement:
- The first is for those who purchased optical disk drives and/or optical disk drive devices directly from Hitachi-LG Data Storage from Jan. 1, 2004 through Dec. 31, 2011.
- The second class is for individuals or companies that purchased optical disk drives or laptop or desktop computers that use optical disk drives directly from Panasonic, NEC Corporation, Phillips & Lite-On Digital Solutions (PLDS), Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corp. (TSST), Sony Corporation, BenQ Corporation, TEAC Corporation, Quanta Storage Inc. (QSI), and Pioneer Corporation from Jan. 1, 2004 through Jan. 1, 2010.
A dollar amount will be assigned to each item that was purchased:
Optical Disk Drives will be valued at 100 percent of their purchase price.
- Optical Disk Drive Devices will be valued at a fixed amount:
- Desktop/Laptop Computer: $32
- Sony PlayStation 2: $20
- Sony PlayStation 3: $73
- CD player/recorder: $15
- DVD player/recorder: $20
- Blu-Ray player/recorder: $73
Note that the settlement with each company has varying and overlapping class definitions. This means that some purchases may qualify for one settlement fund but not the other. This will be verified by the Claims Administrator.
Proof of Purchase
In re Optical Disk Drive Antitrust Litigation
Case No. 3:10-md-02143-RS
District Court of Northern California
The plaintiffs in the optical disk drive class action lawsuit alleged that the electronic companies conspired to fix, raise, maintain, or stabilize optical disk drive prices. As a result of the alleged price-fixing conspiracy, the plaintiffs claim that they were forced to pay more for the affected products than they would have without the alleged conspiracy.
The electronics companies do not admit to any wrongdoing, but they have agreed to the terms of this class action settlement to avoid the cost and risk of going to trial. This class action settlement was preliminary approved with the various companies starting in 2013 through 2015. The original deadline to file a claim to participate in this class action settlement was June 22, 2015, but the date has been extended to March 7, 2016.